Can A Candle Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? Find Out Here!

At first it was a simple question: could candles cause carbon monoxide poisoning? But the answer is no. In fact, even if you have a fireplace that is not working properly, a candle will not cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

However, if you are using your fireplace to run a gas-powered generator, in my opinion, you should be careful.

A candle can’t set off a carbon monoxide alarm, but it can cause a condition that mimics the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. This is called “scombroid poisoning” and can be triggered by certain types of food.

Candles can be hazardous to your health. In the middle of the home, burning candles can leave a carbon monoxide buildup that can cause poisoning in your home.

This reaction from the candle can cause a headache, dizziness, and shortness of breath, making it important to keep candles out of living areas.

Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that rapidly gets absorbed into the blood stream and is a leading cause of accidental poisoning.

It is a powerful toxin that is responsible for thousands of deaths each year. In fact, it is the leading cause of poisoning in the US. When you burn any fuel, the process produces carbon monoxide.

In the United States, the most common sources of carbon monoxide are smoke from wood-burning stoves, gas stoves, gas ranges, and kerosene heaters.

Carbon monoxide is produced by burning fuels like gas or oil, and it is especially dangerous if a chimney or other fuel source in the home is not vented properly. Once it enters the home, carbon monoxide can be deadly.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is a silent killer that can affect anyone. It is a poisonous gas that can be found in many forms of natural gas, cigarette smoke, diesel fumes in bad exhaust, and natural gas appliances like gas furnaces, water heaters, and space heaters.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a silent killer. It works on the same principle as skin contact, only there is no skin to protect.

After inhaling carbon monoxide, the heart stops pumping blood to the brain, and the body goes into shock. The symptoms can be mild or severe, depending on the amount of exposure.

Above all, the implications are serious. A person can die from CO poisoning even when they are awake.

Symptoms can be felt as :

  • Headache
  • Drowsiness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Chest pain
  • Even shortness of breath. 
  • Fatigue
  • Vomiting

It is a non-toxic gas but it can cause serious health problems, especially if exposure is prolonged. This deadly gas can cause permanent damage to our blood vessels in the lungs.

If you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, the chances of having symptoms are very high and immediate action is required.

Carbon monoxide risk factors

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is one of the leading causes of accidental poisoning in the United States, and a relatively common cause of fires and explosions in homes, including carbon monoxide fuel detectors.

The main risk factor is not the candles themselves, but the fumes coming off the flame. A candle can release carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. 

Poorly vented rooms are one of most carbon monoxide risk factors for those at risk of Carbon monoxide poisoning, and carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the leading causes of accidental death.

Since poorly ventilated rooms are linked to high CO levels in the air, it’s important to keep your home and family safe from Carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you want to safely manage carbon monoxide, make sure that all rooms in your home are properly vented and this includes your kitchen, bathroom, and bedrooms.

In fact, there are a number of other factors that can increase your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, including:

  • Smoking
  • Cooking on gas or electric stoves.
  • Unvented wood-burning stoves.
  • Improperly vented gas heaters.
  • Use of portable generators, or any other fuel-burning device inside the house.
  • Excessive use of heaters or space heaters.
  • Ventilation problems in poorly vented rooms.

If you want to safely manage carbon monoxide, make sure that all rooms in your home are properly vented and this includes your kitchen, bathroom, and bedrooms.

Ways to prevent carbon monoxide while using candle

There are many ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning when using a candle, but it is important to read the labels on the containers of your candles.

Most candles contain a chemical called carbon monoxide, which can accumulate in the air in your home and cause serious health problems, particularly for the elderly and those with heart or lung conditions.

Burning candles is one of the most common ways to get poisoned by carbon monoxide, and there are many ways to prevent this.

1. Install carbon monoxide detector

Have you ever wondered how your candle will help protect you from carbon monoxide poisoning? Or do you wish to protect your family by installing a carbon monoxide detector?

If so, you should install the CO detector before burning any candles because if you do not, you may risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

A carbon monoxide detector is a control mechanism that activates to warn you when the oxygen level in a room, or building, falls below the safe level.

The unit is connected to the gas supply and emits a loud alarm when the level drops below the safe level.

2. Do not sleep with candles on

Candles can be dangerous, especially when you sleep with them. This is because coal, a byproduct of candle making, can make your house a source of dangerous carbon monoxide.

When you sleep with candles, more carbon monoxide is released into your home than normal, and it is then inhaled through your mattress and clothes.

Even though there are a number of safeguards to prevent the gas from leaking, you should not sleep with candles lit in the house, even when you are using a candle that is specifically designed to prevent CO from entering your home.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *