As the weather gets colder, candles are starting to make an appearance all over the home. But, are they bad for you?
If you’re looking to lighten up this weekend, or even for a bit of birthday fun, you may be considering buying a scented candle.
It’s a common misconception that scented candles are healthy and generally safe. However, this is untrue.
While scented candles are popular because they are affordable, and are thought to be safe alternatives to the toxic chemicals found in most other candles, in reality they are anything but.
While some scented candles can be inhaled without causing harm, others contain potentially harmful components.
There have been many anecdotal reports of scented candles causing illness. Whether they are the cause of illness is not yet fully understood.
Some reports say no, some say yes, but studies to date see a lack of correlation between candles and health problems. The trouble with studies is that they are always open to interpretation, which can lead to skewed results.
For example, if the scented candle has a chemical that may promote illness, then people would be more likely to report that it does cause illness. (This is not to say that every candle that smells sickly sweet is linked to illness, only that it is a risk factor that could cause illness).
How to buy candles that won’t make you sick?
There are many people who are worried about using toxic candles, and want to know how to buy candles that are safer. First of all, what is a toxic candle?
A toxic candle is a candle that has a higher concentration of lead than the burning rate of the candle would suggest. The lead in toxic candles can harm the lungs, and this can cause long-term health issues.
If you’re anything like me, cheap candles tend to make you ill. I like to spend a lot of my hard earned money on candles, and I’m always excited when I find a new brand and fragrances I like.
Unfortunately, some cheap candles really put me off. The wax may be the wrong color, the fragrance smells weird, or the candle burns out so quickly that it’s not worth the money you’ve spent on it.
Candles are one of the most popular home diy tools. In the UK alone, we spend around £15 million a year on candles alone, which equates to around £1000 a year for every man, woman and child in the country.
Now, most of us use candles for their intended purpose and enjoy the aroma and soothing light they provide. But despite this, regrettably, many of us are ill from the toxins found in the wicks and waxes of many candles.
- Avoid using cheap candles.
I’m probably going to regret this because it’s a really simple concept, but I just had to share it with you. Cheaper candles contain chemicals which are cheap and fill in as a replacement for real candles as they won’t be as fragrant.
The real problem with these cheaper candles is that they contain paraffin wax and often have additives to the wax, which can cause your skin to be irritated by the wax.
There have been some very worrying news stories about cheap candles being made with harmful chemicals that cause severe health problems. Skin, eyes and respiratory problems are some of the major problems caused by these cheap candles.
People are advised to stop using cheap candles and to use wax melts, which are made to a higher standard.
- Use high quality standard candles.
It can be a challenge to find high quality candles that function well, and cost less than 50p per candle. These tips will help you find the best of the best:
When shopping for candles, look for soy, lead-free and paraffin wax. Remember that candles can be pricey. So be sure to get a good quality one that will last for years.
The most important factor is how the candle burns. Look for a wick that is trimmed and cleanly, with no signs of waxy buildup.
Once you have a good candle, make sure to store it on a level and protected surface, and don’t forget to check the date on the box to make sure it’s still fresh.
The Problems with most cheap candles
Most candles that you buy don’t “burn” in the traditional sense of the word. Instead, they use a wick to burn for a short period of time. What’s the problem with this?
Firstly, the wick will burn out earlier than you want it to. Secondly, the wax will burn out before you’ve finished your candle.
Thirdly, if the candle is burned properly, it will throw off the scent, leaving you with a candle that’s not as good as it could have been.
I have been a candle lover for as long as I can remember. I love the warm glow they provide, the smells and the way they look at night.
I have always bought candles from the supermarket, but recently, I have noticed a big difference in the quality of the candles I have been purchasing.
Most of the candles have a waxy feel to them that leaves a film on the inside of the candle and doesn’t burn evenly.
- Contain paraffin’s
Most candles are made from paraffin wax. Paraffin wax is made from petroleum and is heavily refined.
It is harmful for your skin and a number of studies have shown that it is not a healthy product for you. Paraffin wax is a highly refined product and contains refined waxes, which could potentially include polyethylene (PEG), polypropylene (PP), and polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
- Synthetic colors and Fragrances
Our beloved candles have a reputation for being unscented and natural. This is great, but it’s not always the case, as a lot of natural candles have added synthetic colors and fragrances.
So what are the ‘problems’ with synthetic colors, fragrances and wicks? They don’t smell as good, they can sometimes react with each other, and they are not as safe as natural products.
Candles are a great way to create a living room atmosphere that is both relaxing and enjoyable. Some people enjoy the subtle fragrance or the flickering light that a candle provides.
However, there are a large number of candles in today’s market that do not provide the experience and experience that is expected. There are two main problems with artificial candles.
Synthetic colors are used in the synthetic waxes and the synthetic shells of the candle. These colors often include dangerous chemicals such as dioxin and phthalates, which are known to cause cancer.